"Not 100 people in the United States hate the Roman Catholic Church, but millions hate what they mistakenly think the Roman Catholic Church is.” - - Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

What I Learned This Week...

What I learned this week is…get this…”God doesn’t need us.”  I mean, I guess we all know that right?  But I heard Fr. Barron (from "Word on Fire" and the new documentary “Catholicism”) say that this week & when I really thought about…it kinda rocked my world.  We all go through life so “egocentric.” Not necessarily in a BAD way but just because, ‘hey, we’re human.’  What do we think about all day, everyday…’What am, I/my family, gonna do today?  What am, I/my family, gonna eat today? What do, I/my family, have on our social schedule for today?’  It’s natural & I don’t think that there is anything WRONG with it, it’s just fact…me, mine, me, me, me, mine, mine!  And here we are, ever so important to ourselves and our little world we’ve created and…God doesn’t NEED us or ANY of that.  I'm sure He's happy when we're happy but all He really wants is for us to eventually make our way to Him in Heaven.  This world is but a blink for Him in eternity.  He LOVED us into being and He never had to in the first place.  If we OBEY him or not in this life doesn’t change Him or hinder Him…it only matters to Him because He LOVES us.  So we go through the rat race of this world, making, losing, longing for money, gaining, losing, longing for power and so on…then when you think of it in the context of ‘God doesn’t need you’….no matter if you are the leader of the free world…or founder of Apple, Inc. all of a sudden we are all very, very small indeed.  It becomes crystal clear (to me at least) why the lowliest of low will be raised high in the end.  The first will be last & the last first.  It's not just because it sounds nice & poor people will finally get theirs...it's because we are all truly equal in God's eyes because he doesn't CARE what our social stature is in THIS life. We are all lowly humans, which He LOVES despite our flaws & lowly state.  It also puts into perspective our current social mindset of “It’s MY life and MY body & I’ll do with it what I WANT…” Guess what…it’s NOT & if you DO..you risk more than ANYTHING your human mind can imagine in this life, which it's length is mere moments compared to the afterlife.  God bless us humans & especially the law makers and the media who assist in creating this culture of “ME” that we so easily and readily accept.

No comments: